Saturday 26 November 2011

Research into How to Take a Black and White Photograph

Using one website in my research I found that I need to be particular about the type of lighting I use when taking my photograph. Using a lot of light to create shadows, dark and light areas. The contrast will make sure that the person is not flattened by the lack of colour.
In the picture below a lot of depth has been created, with the dark shades and light, to enhance the shape of the mans face.
I also found out that I need to experiment with the aperture on the camera, this is the size of the opening in the lens when the picture is taken. The less light let into the camera the more detailed the picture is. For example the picture of the girl below, has very fine detail, meaning you can see textures.
The main impact changing the aperture has on a picture is the depth of field. With a large aperture number, the depth of field is larger, meaning that the entire photograph is in focus. Whereas the smaller number of aperture, the smaller the depth of field this means a particular object in the foreground of the photograph will be more in focus than the background. Similar to the two photographs above. This may be a good idea to have a shallow depth of field in my front cover photograph as I can use the blurred background to add text over the top.

I decided to take a photograph from the internet that had a shallow depth of field and edit it myself into black and white, maybe keeping a particular part of it and keeping it in colour, to see whether I liked the outcome, and then decided to try a first photoshoot.

I think having a photograph like this would be very suitable for my front cover.